Monday, April 26, 2010

Earth Day Fair--a great success!


Montgomery Township's Earth Day Fair was a lot of fun, thanks to a lot of work from the Environmental Commission, the Sustainable Montgomery Committee, some dedicated Township employees, our sponsors, and a wide variety of volunteers. Thank you! Estimates are that around a thousand people attended.

I had a table for the Native Plant Society of New Jersey (see photo) and enjoyed hearing and (usually) answering a lot of questions about native plants. I also spoke briefly about my experience with a home energy audit under New Jersey's Home Performance with Energy Star program (see my post of Thursday, January 14, 2010), and otherwise never even got a chance to leave my table. But I heard the live music and the children and saw the crowds across the room. I hope everyone who attended learned something about the environment and about Montgomery.

I also got rid of the items I brought to Freecycle, which is incredibly good news for my attic! The Boys and Girls Club of Trenton collected about 100 bicycles, and they were very pleased.

If you missed the Earth Day Fair, or loved it so much that you wish there was another one, there is a Sustainable Hillsborough Family Fair on Saturday, May 1st from 1:00 to 5:00 at their Municipal Complex. I will be there for the Native Plant Society of NJ with Dr. Hubert Ling, the naturalist from NPSNJ, who has great recommendations for urban trees. Montgomery and Hillsborough may be rivals in football, but we are partners in sustainability!

No comments:

Post a Comment